Skip to content

Employment Requests

Loyola students in F-1 status are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week at an on-campus job while school is in session. Students may work on-campus full time during their annual vacation and during official school breaks. A student entering the U.S. to attend Loyola may begin on-campus employment no more than 30 days before classes begin. Eligibility for on-campus employment ends on the final day of classes or on the date the student completes his or her program.

You may work in a non-work-study position at Loyola. F-1 students do not qualify for work-study positions because they are federally funded.

If you find a non-work-study position at Loyola, please consult with your hiring department for completion of the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form. You will need a Social Security Number to complete the form. If you do not have a Social Security Number, please see the SSN information below.  

On-campus employment that fits within the guidelines outlined above does not need written or verbal authorization from ISSS or from USCIS.
If you are a student on a J-1 visa, you need authorization in order to work on campus. 

To submit a request, click the button below. Processing for J-1 On-Campus Employment Requests takes 3-5 business days.
If you are a student in F-1 visa status, you may apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization in your field of study. You may do this if the practical training is determined to be integral or required as part of your established curriculum and the relevant coursework must connect with your major program of study. This kind of practical training permits students to take a temporary job or internship for a period no longer than one academic term at a time. Once the student completes all requirements for the degree, CPT is no longer available. You are limited to a total of 20 hours a week during the academic school year and 40 hours a week during university-scheduled breaks and holidays.

To qualify for CPT, the following must apply:
  • You must be in lawful full-time F-1 student status for a full academic year (two semesters or three quarters.)
  • You must be in good academic standing at the university.
  • The requested training must be an integral or required part of your program of study.
  • You must have a job or internship offer prior to applying for CPT.
The two most common types of CPT are outlined below:
  1. CPT as an integral part of the established curriculum. The student and the advisor will need to note the appropriate course number during the CPT application process. Students can either be enrolled in an internship course OR connect CPT to a relevant course being taken that term. Note: Students applying for a summer CPT opportunity can connect their CPT to a course taken in the spring semester/quarter.
  2. CPT to fulfill a degree program requirement. In order for training to be considered “required,” all students in the degree program must be required to complete an internship in order to receive their degree.
If you meet the above qualifications, you are eligible to apply for CPT. You must be authorized for CPT before you begin your employment. Working without authorization is illegal and will result in the termination of your F-1 status. Submission of a CPT request does not guarantee approval.

Click the button below to apply for CPT. Processing for CPT Requests takes 3-5 business days.
Optional Practical Training is a work experience opportunity within your field of study for up to 12 months after you have completed your degree under F-1 status. 

To submit a request, click on the button below. Processing for OPT Requests takes 3-5 business days.
If you are on OPT, you must report any new or changes in employment, address or visa status within 10 days of the change.

To submit an update while on OPT, click the button below. Processing for OPT Reporting takes 2-3 business days.
Applications for STEM extensions must be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before their current OPT end date and can be sent as early as 90 days before the current end date. As long as you have filed for the extension before the current OPT ends, you can continue working even if your application is still pending approval for up to 180 days beyond the expiration of your prior post-completion OPT EAD.

As a student, you are eligible for one 24-month OPT STEM extension if you:
  • Have a degree in the Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics fields – please refer to this page for a list of eligible programs.
  • Are employed by a company that is registered with the E-Verify program. If you are unsure whether your employer is registered with E-Verify, contact your supervisor or the human resources department at the company.
To begin a request, click on the button below. OPT STEM Extension Requests take 3-5 business days to process.

Academic Training (AT) allows students in J-1 status to gain off-campus practical experience in their field of study. Academic Training can be used during or after your J-1 program of study. This authorization is employer- and date-specific. You must have authorization from ISSS before prior to beginning your employment. Submission of an Academic Training request does not guarantee approval.

To submit a request, click the button below. Processing for Academic Training Requests takes 3-5 business days.
You are eligible to obtain a U.S. Social Security Number if you have been authorized to work. 

Work authorization includes: 
  • On-campus employment at Loyola University Chicago
  • Off-campus employment with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Academic Training (AT)
  • Having an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with Optional Practical Training (OPT)
How to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN): 
  1. Read through the International Students and Social Security Numbers packet.
  2. Download and complete the SSN Application form.
  3. Collect the documents required according to the type of work authorization you have (see chart)
  4. Submit documents directly at the Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
Documents required
Completed SSN Application
Valid Passport
Most current I-94 (retrieve from
Proof of residency(rental lease, utility bill, bank statement etc.)
Most current I-20/DS-2019
I-20 with CPT authorization 
I-20 with OPT authorization
DS-2019 with AT authorization       
 Employment Authorization Document  (EAD) card      
Job offer letter  
Academic Training Letter from OIP      
OIP Letter of Support (see below)      
To request a letter to support your Social Security Number application, please click the button below. Letter of Support Requests take 2-3 business days to process.